Witajcie! Welcome!

Before you start reading, I advise you to switch to your preferred langauage - either Polish (tag: polski) or English (tag: English). You can also choose the country or city (caution: Oslo tag refers both to Polish and English languages). Enjoy. Feel free to comment and ask questions.

Zanim zaczniesz czytać, sugeruję wybranie etykiety: polski, która wyświetli wszystkie posty pisane po polsku lub etykiety kraju lub miasta (ale uwaga! etykieta Oslo zawiera w sobie posty i po polsku i po angielsku). Miłego czytania i zachęcam do komentowania i zadawania pytań.

środa, 5 września 2012

Flight to Indonesia

My flights:
  • Warsaw - Amsterdam (around 2 hours)
  • Amsterdam - Hong Kong (around 10h) (31.08/01.09)
  • Hong Kong - Jakarta (around 4h)

I started flights at 7:45 Warsaw (31.08) UTC +2 and landed finally around 13:00 in Jakarta (01.09.) UTC +7. A long flight indeed.

The lady at the Warsaw airport couldn't check me out further than Amsterdam due to some problems with date system.  I had my carry-on (7.8 kg / 8 max) and a registered luggage (6.4 kg / 24 max). She couldn't believe I'll be coming back in a year. (well, almost 11 months).

Nothing much to write about flight to Amsterdam, except it was quick. ;)

tulip shop in Schiphol airport, Amsterdam
Amsterdam airport (Schiphol) tempts you to spend euro in the abundance of its shops. I tried to resist but in the end I spent 20€ for food stuff. Prices? Supermarket: 1l of 100% juice - 3.49€, fruit salad - 2.99 €. Food court: vegetarian pasta 2.9€ per 100g, mug of tea - 2.7€.

I've experienced Amsterdam weather - 14°C and strong wind - on a panorama terrace. The wind wasn't that bad, it just made taking photos a bit more difficult. ;) Danek, my bodyguard, can confirm it.

Danek on the panorama terrace in Schiphol airport, Amsterdam

On the panorama terrace you could enter into one of the KLM planes and see the cockpit (and hear the pilots' talks ;))
KLM plane @ panorama terrace in Schiphol airport, Amsterdam
I liked how the Schiphol airport is "infected" with KLM planes. ^^ (Oh yes, there are more of them)

What I didn't like about Schiphol was its internet connection. There is a free internet (2 x 30 min) and paid internet (3€ per 15 min), which is faster, has VPN and no time limits on it (as long as you pay).

I flew to Hong Kong with Cathay Pacific airline. On the very same plane that is here on photo. 10 rows of seats - 3 on left and right and 4 in the middle. I was sitting in the middle of the middle. ;) And near the wall. The worst place ever, I tell you. Luckily, it passed rather quickly.

The food, Chinese-style, was good. There was an omlet for the breakfast, but after I asked if there is a non-egg dish, I got Shanghai noodle with chicken, without any problems.



What I like about Hong Kong airport? There are a lot of stands with FREE internet and there is a Chinese-culture-themed exhibition.

I've exchanged 30$ for 215 HK$. An English book cost even 220HK$. O.o The same book was worth 9€ in Amsterdam. So in the end, I bought in Relay (I was surprised to see it's international brand) a Japanese magazine and a photo magazine (in English), spending around 150HK$.

It was soothing to see Chinese characters around. It felt almost like at home. I was surprised to realise how much I missed Asia during this year. I felt so happy coming back to Asia. I knew I couldn't sightsee Hong Kong now, but knowing that I'll be living around here for a year (making it possible to sightsee HK) made me happy.

The flight to Jakarta was sooooooo loooooong. Four hours, 3300 km... Too long. ;)

Immigration line was so long that I was anxious about my luggage. But it was still there when I finally got there.

I've exchanged 100$ (1 paper) for IDR - got 951000 IDR. The exchange rate was varied - from 9400 to 9510 per dollar. In case you had a 100$ with you. 10, 20, 50$ has lower rate - 9200 per dollar.

I was sooo hungry, and there was a Hoka Hoka Bento around, so I decided I'll eat in Japanese fast food and look no further. It was edible, unless you ate a chicken. I ordered Bento Special III and mineral water. Cost: bento - 32273 IDR, water (0.33l) - 6.364 IDR, there was some PKJ RESTO added (3.864 IDR) so in the end I paid 42.500 IDR. I don't feel like going to this fast food any time soon. And it made me wary of chicken meat for a few days.

I took a no-meter taxi to the hotel, in the end. I paid 100000 IDR to get to the hotel. Which wasn't that easy even if I had address with me. I should have got a phone number to the hotel, so that the driver could ask for directions. Maybe a hotel transfer from the airport (150k IDR) would be better in the end. ;)

At the hotel room I felt so tired, that I went to sleep for 14 hours (when 6 is my norm) O.o But over a day in the "road" justifies it, I think.

My first impressions from Jakarta (from the front seat of a car): green (even on highway), traffic jam and poverty. When we were looking for my hotel, I was praying to not live in some of the places we passed through.

There was a lot of road-sellers. They offered for example handicraft, swimming toys, food. There was also a beggar. There were also a lot of scooters and motors on the road. A very unusual sight for a Polish like me - it's not so popular here.

On that day I still haven't known how my impression will change in the next days.

Brak komentarzy:

Prześlij komentarz